Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Stop Snivelling: Make Your Own Vindaloo Paste

Lamb Vindaloo: Mmmmmhmmm!
I get really irritated when I hear people complain that you  can’t get a “proper curry” in the U.S. That’s silly. I can see it if you don’t live in a big city, but I can’t think of any major metropolis anywhere where  Indian, Pakistani or Bangla Deshi iigrants haven’t settled. At any rate, for those of you who’ve been complaining and moaning on the blogs about getting your fix, reply to this or email me at ivor.ghostrwriter@gmail.com.  Wherever you are in North America, I will fill you in on a quality eating establishment in your vicinity and sites for you to do your long-distance food shopping from.

Anyone who follows my football site knows I just took my youngest  home to England to watch Manchester United destroy Spurs and Arsenal. The second order of business was food. They call it the Curry Mile and us Mancs in exile miss it like mad. So me and me old mate Nobby Patel went on oe of our periodic heat hunts and ended up at the old tried-and-true Moti Mahal on Wythenshawe Road. They make the best Vindaloo anywhere. What makes theirs so  especially good is something which ‘Britishizes ’it. Instead of using plain, white vinegar use malt vinegar.
And, remember, old spices in a jar will not  keep well I use plain old, reasonably priced corn oil. Safflower oil is a good alternative if you prefer something slightly more viscous.

Chopped vidalia onions- 6 cups
Mustard seeds- 2 tsp
Tomatoes- 2 lb
Malt vinegar- 1/2 Cup
Red chilies-25 or  3 oz chili paste
Garlic- 30 cloves
Grated ginger- 5 tablespoons
Cardamom seeds 2 tsp
Cumin seeds- 1 tbs.
Fenugreek seeds- 1 tsp
Oil- 1 cup
Pink Wine-2 cups

Grind the red chilies with half  of the ginger, garlic, cardamom, cumin & mustard.

Mix this into a paste with  the vinegar.

Fry the other half of the garlic and the onions until golden brown.

Add the tomatoes and fry on a low heat for ten minutes before adding the ground spice  paste and wine.  Slowly add the remaining spices and fry until the oil separates from the mixture.

Allow the mix to  cool completely.

Store in an airtight container and freeze. Prepare  your meat of choice, defrost your vindaloo and simmer on a low light for 90 minutes.

No comments: